Avalanche Consulting & Risk Management
I offer a variety of avalanche and snow safety consulting services in Norway, Georgia (Caucasus) and abroad. My main field of work are avalanche safety in ski guiding and for industry/infrastructure, such as ski resorts, roads and mines, and projects in remote or high-altitude environments. My background includes:
Professional Member Canadian Avalanche Association (CAA)
Avalanche Operations Level 3 Canadian Avalanche Association
ISO 31000 Risk Management practices
Apprentice Ski Guide, Association of Canadian Mountain Guides (ACMG)
- MSc Earth Sciences (SFU Canada) and PhD Candidate Snow & Avalanches (BOKU/Vienna)
More about the Canadian avalanche training system can be found in a publication by E. Grady, ISSW 2013: The Canadian Approach to Professional Avalanche Training
What I offer:
- Avalanche assessments and forecasting - for example last season`s reports and forecasts for Gudauri/Georgia (Caucasus)
- Avalanche risk identification, analysis, and evaluation
- Risk treatment - implementation of mitigation strategies & monitoring
- Resulting avalanche safety plan
- Snow climate studies
- Worker training in avalanche and mountain safety
- Project-specific avalanche courses and training
- Expert consultation for projects and event/accident review
- Evaluation of existing risk management plans
- Canadian Avalanche Association Level 3 and ISO 31000 standards
- Wind-field and snow drift modelling with system developed during my PhD, based on a terrain parameter and weather station data. I am also able to use ARPS (Advanced Regional Prediction System).
- Avalanche hazard mapping - locator maps, avalanche atlas, avalanche paths
- Visualization of data and hazards for stakeholders to understands hazards, risks and risk mitigation measures
- GIS solutions and worker training; I use open-source software, which is also beneficial for customers if they want to implement or develop long-term software solutions.
Current and previous projects:
- Avalanche consultant to the Norwegian Geotechnical institut for Stattnet construction site in Skjomen (Narvik, Norway)
- Avalanche consultant for northern Kobi extension of Gudauri Ski Resort (Georgia/Caucasus)
- Quality control for avalanche forecast for a construction site along E39 road in Romarheimsdalen (Hordaland, Norway).
- Schön, P., Naaim-Bouvet, F., Vionnet, V., Prokop, A., 2018: Merging a Terrain-Based Parameter with Blowing Snow Fluxes for Assessing Snow Redistribution in Alpine Terrain. Cold Regions Science and Technology, recently accepted for publication.
- Schön, P., Prokop, A., Vionnet, V., Guyomarc'h, G., Naaim-Bouvet, F. und Heiser, M., 2015. Improving a terrain-based parameter for the assessment of snow depths with TLS data in the Col du Lac Blanc area. Cold Regions Science and Technology, 114, 15–26).
- Prokop, A., Schön, P., Singer, F., Pulfer, G., Naaim, M., Thibert, E. and Soruco, A., 2015. Merging terrestrial laser scanning technology with photogrammetric and total station data for the determination of avalanche modeling parameters. Cold Regions Science and Technology, 110, 223-230.